When buying a new roof, one of the things you should check is the warranty that comes with it. Roof warranties vary depending on the manufacturer and contractor. Their terms and coverage period also depend on the specific type of roofing material. That’s why you should carefully read the fine print before signing an agreement.
Here are some important details to remember about roof warranties.
Essential Things to Know About Roof Warranties
- The warranty beneficiary is the name that appears on the receipt and of the person who owns the house.
- The warranty coverage must specify if the manufacturer will cover the materials only and exclude the costs of tear-off and labor.
- Coverage periods vary depending on your roof’s features and capabilities. An impact-resistant roof might have a longer coverage than regular roofing materials.
- Warranty exclusions specify events that aren’t part of the coverage. These typically include poor handling and installation by an unqualified roofer.
- Transferability means the warranty can be transferred to the new homeowner in case the original owner sells the property.
Types of Roof Warranties
There are three main types of roof warranties offered to customers:
- Standard Manufacturer Warranties
This warranty typically lasts for a lifetime with basic limited coverage. This means that you get all its benefits as long as you own your current home. It typically covers the cost of defective materials only.
- Workmanship Warranties
A workmanship warranty is offered by contractors and covers the installation of the roof. It protects you from worker errors, improper installation methods and others stipulated in the contract.
- Extended Manufacturer Warranties
These warranties provide more comprehensive and lengthier coverage. They typically require you to have a complete roofing system, meaning your roof must include specific coordinating components, such as underlayment, ice and water barriers, and soffit and ridge vents.
Christian Brothers Roofing can provide you with a long-lasting roof that meets all your specifications. With many years of industry experience, we guarantee top-notch workmanship and exceptional customer service. To request a quote, call us at (270) 715-1999, or fill out this contact form.