In recent years, metal roofing has successfully entered the mainstream market and now proves to be a viable option for nearly all types of homes and buildings. Here are several key things to know about metal roofs.
1. Metal roofs are no noisier than asphalt shingles. Many homeowners are hesitant to install metal roofing because of the belief that metal roofs are noisy when it is pouring rain or hail outside. This is not the case at all. Metal roofing is normally installed over a solid substrate. Moreover, the attic and insulation provide a sufficient sound barrier that can hinder any unwanted sound. Residents rarely notice any increase in sound levels when a metal roof is covering their home.
2. Metal roofs do not attract lightning. This misconception is rooted in the fact that metal is an electrical conductor. However, any experienced and trained roofer knows that metal roofing does not increase the risk of a lightning strike at all. In fact, it is less combustible than other traditional roofing materials, such as wood shakes or shingles.
3. Metal roofs are often more cost-effective. Metal roofing is expected to last longer than other roof coverings. According to State Farm Insurance Statistics, metal roofs generally have a lifespan of 40 to 70 years. This means that while the upfront cost of a metal roof is a lot more expensive than asphalt shingles, it can help you save tons of money on replacements over a longer period of time.
4. Metal roofs are incredibly energy-efficient. Since metal roofing is good at reflecting solar radiant heat, it can help significantly reduce cooling costs by 10% to 25% throughout the year. If you live in a climate where cooling expenses are generally higher than heating fees, applying a shiny or granular coating on a metal roof can maximize the reflective capacity of your roof and, therefore, improve your energy savings.
5. Metal roofs are impervious to fire, rot and insect damage. Metal roofing has become the ideal roofing choice in many parts of the country due to its impressive advantages. For instance, insects like termites can never eat metal roofing. The material is also unaffected by rot and mildew. Snow also slides off more swiftly since metal roofs conduct heat quickly from the sun.
Christian Brothers Roofing is a premier source of residential and commercial roofing solutions, including metal roof replacement and maintenance. Our top-rated professionals are committed to providing the comfort and efficiency you need through industry-leading products and outstanding customer service. Call us today at (502) 818-3038, or fill out our contact form to set up an appointment.